Chemical pathologists have complex clinical and laboratory skills needed to perform biochemical tests on human body fluids and tissues.
They examine blood, tissues and urine, and other body fluids such as cerebrospinal fluid.
Changes in enzymes, proteins, electrolytes and other substances in these fluids and tissues give clues they need to diagnose illness and recommend patient care and treatment.
Chemical pathology underpins the care and management of many common conditions:
- High blood glucose levels can mean diabetes.
- Elevated troponin enzyme can indicate recent or current heart attack.
- Measuring proteins in cancer tumours can determine if treatments are working.
Our chemical pathology teams help diagnose:
- Cystic Fibrosis in newborns
- kidney failure
- high cholesterol
- viral and bacterial infection
- thyroid issues and more.
They also perform therapeutic drug monitoring and screen for illegal drug use.