About our Environmental Microbiology & Toxicology Testing service
Our Environmental Microbiology & Toxicology teams are part of NSW Health Pathology’s Forensic & Analytical Science Service (FASS).
They provide specialised microbiological and chemical testing for NSW Health’s legislative compliance monitoring activities including investigation of possible waterborne-disease outbreaks.
The teams work with NSW Health, the Environmental Health Branch and the Public Health Network to ensure water quality and safety.
NSW Health Pathology, FASS, Water Microbiology Laboratory
- Tests drinking, recreational, dialysis and waste waters
- Detects microorganisms including Salmonella and thermophilic Campylobacter pathogens
- Tests for compliance with Australian Drinking Water Guidelines and various NSW Health guidelines.
NSW Health Pathology, FASS, Trace Inorganic Laboratory
Tests for compliance with Australian Drinking Water Guidelines for:
- Physical parameters (pH, turbidity, hardness, total dissolved solids and true colour)
- Nutrients (phosphorus, sulfate, nitrate and nitrite)
- Heavy metals (including but not limited to lead, mercury and arsenic)
- Fluoride in drinking water samples under the Fluoridation of Public Water Supplies Act 1957.
NSW Health Pathology, FASS, Clinical & Environmental Toxicology Laboratory
The laboratory assists NSW Health testing of e-cigarettes or vapes nicotine and analyses water for:
- Pesticide residues
- Algal toxins
- Disinfection by-products
- Other organic contaminants.
NSW Health Pathology, FASS, Legionella Reference Laboratory
- Tests water from high-risk public healthcare facilities in NSW for total Legionella present
- Where required, determines if L. pneumophilia serogroups 1,2-14 or species are present
- Works with NSW Health to investigate Legionnaires' disease outbreaks in the community.