About our Perinatal Postmortem service
The NSW Health Pathology Perinatal Postmortem Service helps hundreds of NSW families each year. We’re a vital statewide service providing timely and highly-specialised support, focused on sensitive, compassionate care at this most difficult time.
Our Care Coordinator provides compassionate, respectful and dignified care of the highest standards for you and your baby and will ensure you get timely, reliable results.
You will be connected with a perinatal pathologist who will help you understand the technical aspects of care for your baby and find the answers you need.
We will adhere to strict ethical standards and ensure that your cultural and religious needs are met. We will support you carefully and respectfully through the process to obtain your consent for a perinatal postmortem and help you understand the results.
Service locations and hours
NSW Health Pathology’s non-coronial perinatal postmortem services are performed at three specialist centres at Westmead, Randwick and Newcastle.
The NSW Perinatal Postmortem Service operates Monday to Friday during business hours at these three sites.
Enquiries outside business hours can be emailed to our Perinatal Postmortem Service Care Coordinator, who will be in touch the next available working day.
For urgent or after hours postmortem advice:
- The Children’s Hospital, Westmead: phone (02) 9845 0000 switchboard and ask to be transferred to the on-call pathologist
- John Hunter Hospital: phone (02) 4921 3000 switchboard and ask to be transferred to the on-call pathologist.
- Prince of Wales Hospital: phone (02) 9382 2222 switchboard and ask to be transferred to the on-call pathologist.
For Health Professionals: Make a referral or enquiry
To make a referral or enquiry, please email us at [email protected].
- Mark the email as ‘Confidential’
- Include: Referring hospital, Referrer’s name and contact details, Mother’s name, Mother’s DoB, Baby’s gestation or age in days, Baby’s DOB, Brief clinical history.
NSW Health Pathology
Media ManagerView Profile