Growing our Aboriginal Workforce
The NSW Health Pathology Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Recruitment and Retention Program supports our organisation to grow and develop our Aboriginal workforce. The program is guided by the NSW Health Good Health - Great Jobs: Aboriginal Workforce Strategic Framework 2016 – 2020 (the framework) which sets out Aboriginal workforce development priorities, desired outcomes and actions required to be taken to recruit, retain and develop our Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander workforce.
The NSW Health Pathology program is structured around the six key priority areas contained in the framework:
- Lead and plan Aboriginal workforce development
- Build cultural understanding and respect
- Attract, recruit and retain Aboriginal staff
- Develop the capabilities of Aboriginal staff
- Work with others to achieve workforce priorities
- Track our achievements and improve results
Our program is focused on strategies to make NSW Health Pathology an employer of choice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and close the gap on Aboriginal disadvantage. These strategies include:
- Increasing employment opportunities
- Supporting and developing our current Indigenous staff
- Providing culturally safe and respectful workplaces through cultural redesign and cultural awareness training for all staff
- Improving provision of NSW Health Pathology services to Aboriginal communities
Stepping Up resource
We recognise the value of Aboriginal staff, to NSW Health Pathology as an organisation, and to the health of the Aboriginal people and communities of NSW.
'Stepping Up' aims to assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander job applicants understand how to apply for roles within NSW Health by clarifying the recruitment process and addresses some of the challenges they can experience, so they can more effectively apply for roles within NSW Health. Are you a hiring manager? It also has guidance on employing and supporting Aboriginal staff.
For more information about Stepping Up, visit: http://www.steppingup.health.nsw.gov.au/