NSW Health Pathology was formed in 2012 and is the largest public pathology service in Australia and one of only a few statewide services.
We are an indispensable part of the NSW public health system, particularly in helping manage the public health response to COVID-19. We are also unique in bringing together pathology with our world-renowned forensic services helping protect the safety of our communities.
The drive, resilience, compassion and expertise of our people sets us apart.
Caring, connecting and pioneering to achieve great things for all of us
These are just some of our achievements helping protect the health and safety of our communities.
- Endorsed by NSW Health in 2017 as the preferred provider and commissioner of public pathology services for the State.
- Joint winner of 2020 NSW Premier’s Putting the Customer at the Centre Award and acknowledged by Harvard Business Review for our COVID-19 SMS Results Service. This innovative service eased anxiety and time in isolation for patients and saved hundreds of thousands of hours’ work for health staff.
- Partnered in construction of the world-class Forensic Medicine & Coroners Court Complex in Western Sydney that provides greater support, dignity and answers to families experiencing the unexpected loss of a loved one.
- Grew the live SARS-CoV-2 virus from infected patients’ samples and developed a game-changing serology test used by public health officials to understand and help limit outbreaks.
- Developing new tests to diagnose SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern and differentiate between vaccine-induced and natural infection antibodies.
- Manage the largest accredited Point of Care Testing (PoCT) service in the world, using mobile devices to analyse pathology samples and provide on-the-spot results at patients’ hospital bedsides and in the community.
- Our world-leading genomics service performs more than 80,000 genetic and genomic tests each year, revealing new insights into rare genetic diseases, cancer and infectious disease caused by pathogens.
- Supporting the NSW Government’s Drug Surveillance Strategy with scientific analysis, helping detect harmful substances, alert communities and treat critically ill emergency department patients.
- Built a statewide digital tracking system (AKUNA) to help us protect every sample in our care as it moves from collection to lab for diagnostic testing.
- Partner with Fertility and Research Centre at Royal Hospital for Women in Randwick and the University of New South Wales, culminating in the birth of the service’s first IVF baby, Ryan.